From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bill Nettles
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:46 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] relativity misconception #437

I don't deal with 4-vectors on a regular basis, and haven't taught the
Modern section in quite a while. SO...be gentle. I'm trying to
understand this.

JD said:" What we care about is the coordinate system. Moe himself is
moving toward the future at the rate of 60 minutes per hour, in
accordance with answer (B), but his coordinate system is not. In
particular the contours of constant time in his coordinate system are
not moving, and those are what we normally use to measure spacetime
positions, velocities, et cetera."

Does this mean that there are continually "new" coordinate systems that
are instantaneous with Moe, but that we have chosen a coordinate system
at a fixed space-time point with which to measure all other space-time
action? I haven't thought of coordinate systems in this way, at least
not recently (maybe I did while as a grad student in survey class of
GR). I've always thought of Moe actually BEING the coordinate system so
that the answer to (B) would be (0,0,0,0). But if "the contours of
constant time ... not moving," is it really "his coordinate system?"
Isn't it a coordinate system that we chose at a single time which has
no special velocity relative to him? And what is a real problem in
which this makes a difference in what we would measure? Not playing
devil's advocate here; really looking to understand the nuances of this
4-vector coordinate system definition.

Thanks,

BillN