Re: [Phys-l] [PTSOS] anvil and sledgehammer inertia demo

Paul!

I did not write that; I quoted someone who did. [Furthermore, not only are you miss quoting,** I thought it was understood that I disagreed with that by my statement that such demos. were (unfortunately) necessary, but only to grab their attention. As JC pointed out, that property of inertia is common knowledge -- What is not common is motion continues w/ balance forces. (Contrary to Aristotle!)

The discussion on phys-l has continued (20 total so far) and is now concentrating on how to show, inter alia, instead of tail chasing, the forces are equal, but there is motion.

Regarding separating area and inertia. A very simple one, and half gee whiz, is the weight suspended by a thread. hanging from the bottom of the weight is another thread (same strength). If one pulls w/ gradually increasing force the upper one breaks, if jerked the lower. This is an old one, so not surprised if PTSOSs know it.

Of course there's more to teaching than ... But content and pedagogy is essential. Which reminds me, how many of you use the FCI?

Force Concept Inventory

** His quote that I quoted is: