Re: [Phys-l] OT Re: "Unlearning"

My table didn't come through. I'll try it again with tabs:

Subject Object

Singular thou thee

Plural ye you

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Ken Caviness
Sent: Saturday, 11 September 2010 6:03 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] OT Re: "Unlearning"

I think I remember that in "ye" (as in "Ye Olde Curiosity Shop") the "y" was a "y" with a dot or small "e" over it, and was an abbreviation for "the" using a form of the letter thorn. But I don't see how that could apply to the expression "hear ye, hear ye", since this command is clearly addressed to a crowd, and so would use the Middle English 2nd person plural pronoun, not the singular.

Subject

Object

Singular

thou

thee

Plural

ye

you

In fact, if the singular is desired, it would be "Hear thou" (as in addressing the Deity: "Hear Thou my prayer!" But it looks like a clear case for the plural nominative 2nd person, so "ye" is correct.

Ken Caviness

Full-time physics teacher and part-time amateur linguist