Re: [Phys-l] "unlearning"

We do even more and approach the pendulum without talking about it at all in 'lecture'. Here is what a pendulum looks like--you can time the swing--what does that time depend on? Breaking the class into groups to examine different possible variables (which the class has identified), they study period versus mass of the bob, period versus angle of swing, and period versus length (broken into three length regions (0-1m, 1-3m, 3-10m). The last two ranges give data that 'could' be interpreted as linear which leads to learning about consideration of as large a variable range as possible since all three ranges combined are clearly not linear. The angle of swing study shows a reasonably constant period out to 30 degrees with definite deviation towards longer periods beyond.

Later in class we look first at the small angle approximation and then the problem with large angles--both, as is traditional, by approximating the pendulum as a SHM oscillator.

If you will, this is a 'discovery' mode exercise that works pretty well. Pretty difficult to design the entire curriculum this way, especially if you have constraints to cover a lot of topics, but the pendulum fits very nicely into the mode.

************************
As usual on the list, everyone has some strong feelings about what should be taught and how it should be taught. What is correct or effective pedagogy. Also as usual, lots of those feelings and suggestions (demands) may not be applicable to the particular audience and/or goals of other people's courses. Trust yourself.
*************************

Rick

***************************
Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Software
New multi-input energy simulator--plays similar to the Montana State analog computer.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Spagna Jr., George" <gspagna@rmc.edu>