Re: [Phys-l] Friendship trumps competance Was: Re: WHY VALUEADDED TESTING IS A BUST.

Crawford Elementary School in Houston, Texas

CES is 99% Free and Reduced-Price Lunch
CES is 98% Hispanic and African American
CES is 51% English Learners

In 2008, CES achieved 100% proficiency on the state science test where the
state average was 85% (and the state had much less challenging
demographics). This includes poor, English Learners, special education,
boys, girls . . . everyone.

According to the sites I have seen it only has 75% free and reduced-price
lunch, so the 99% free & reduced statistic may be overstated.

City-data.com school rating (weighted overall 2006 test average as compared
to other schools in Texas) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 37.

Read more:
http://www.city-data.com/school/crawford-elementary-tx.html#ixzz0yXILhrpS

It certainly doesn't look too bad. But compare it with West U in a
reasonably affluent middle class area:

http://www.har.com/school/campus-West-University-Elementary-School-101912255
.html

And please read the paper that I re-referenced. While state test scores
have gone up the scores on international assessments have gone down, so that
teaching to the narrow state tests can raise scores, but on a more
comprehensive test scores will go down.

Crawford may be doing a very good job, but I would have to see more
evidence. The affluent areas are doing even much better, so the disparity
may still be there.

Where did the 99% for Crawford statistics come from?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX