From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Clement
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:05 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] WHY VALUE ADDED TESTING IS A BUST.

But we have proposed better methods. Train the teachers in research
based
pedagogy and use testing with research based test as action research to
assess how well the methods are working. We have proposed giving
teachers
time to get together and improve what they are doing, as is done in
Japan.

Yes, teacher made tests can be pretty good, but research based tests are
much better. There is research assessing the reliability of teacher
made
tests and they are ok. The teachers certainly know their subject, but
they
are woefully ignorant of the psychology and education research bearing
on
their teaching. So the questions only come out of the subject knowledge,
without being informed by good PCK. (pedagogical content knowledge)

The problem is that in our litigious society the public wants to blame
someone. So the solution is to place blame and then punish. This will
not
solve the problems if the teachers don't have a clue as to how to do a
better job, and the students do not see that the education can make a
difference in their lives.

If we went to a system on non punitive testing, then research based
tests
could be used, and the tests would not have to be made public. But with
the
public availability of the tests, the states have to make new tests
every
year with real problems in quality control. A really good test has to
be
field tested and correlated with free response questions and possibly
interviews. The states do not want to do this every year because it
costs
$$$.

We have proposed, and are actually doing some of this with problems like
Modeling. Incidentally the Modelers use a list serve to communicate
about
classroom problems. The cited article says that the value added testing
is
only about 14% predictive, which is wretched. You can get better odds
than
that in some card games. Testing which is not effective, is also not
necessary.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I am not going to enter the debate about the necessity of standard
testing
to improve the educational process, except to say that those who
oppose
testing should propose a better method.
I can tell you something about the construction methods for a test. I
recently served on a panel of active teachers convened to review a
standardized
test for use in New Mexico. I was prepared to battle undereducated
teachers to make sure the science was correct. I can away impressed
with
the
insight, teaching expertise, and knowledge which the group with which
was
associated brought to the task of making sure the test was relevant,
standards
based, free from bias, and able to distinguish knowledgeable students
from
those deficient.

Alex. F. Burr