Re: [Phys-l] Kirchhoff's laws, or not

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
If any given Kirchhoff Node is small enough that
it's self capacitance is negligible (a not
unreasonable condition) then it will not build up
enough charge to violate the Current Rule.

The idea of an arbitrarily small 'node' does not seem extreme.
(Circuit board designers need to be aware
of the shortcomings of their media).)

It DOES seem a bit odd to consider a helicopter to be a circuit 'node'.

Kirchhoff's RULES seem better than Kirchhoff's LAWS.
(I always taught Ohm's Rule of Thumb instead of Ohm's Law.)

As with most "laws" of Physics, they work great for everything they work
for - but they don't work for everything. I would include Ohm, Kirchhoff,
Hooke... probably more...
Is this an example of 'exceptions make the rule (law)?

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......