Re: [Phys-l] Kirchhoff's laws, or not (was: arcing ...)

Both of Kirchhoff's laws
are flatly contradicted by the Maxwell equations, and
both are routinely violated in practice.

As a catch-all term, I assume you are referring to the "radiation" aspect? Or am I completely missing the point? (a common happenstance)

2) Ground loops are a familiar example of a gross
violation of K's voltage law.

I have thought of this also as a radiation issue. In short, radiation(s) induces [presumably] unwanted current(s) that exhibit as noise on top of the "wanted current(s)." K's voltage law is violated in the same way as that for a current loop that has no voltage drop?

In the case of the copter, I acknowledge your earlier observation that the situation is AC rather than DC. It is easy enough to wave my hand and say that the copter is merely an antenna, but the numbers need to work out too - I am uncertain as of this writing, and more interested anyway in the following:

This is important in the real world. Anybody who does
any kind of low-noise instrumentation probably needs
to deal with violations of Kirchhoff's laws on a daily
basis. This includes physics-lab instrumentation as
well as other stuff such as medical instrumentation.

There's a lot more that could be said about this if
anybody's interested.

I am, driven by this (admittedly wordy) anecdote:

We once inherited a competitor's hardware from a customer that replaced theirs with ours. We noticed a funny bulge in a cable and took it apart, noticing that the shield had been broken and then spliced with a 100-ohm resistor. With some investigation, we found that they built all their cables that way. Later, when designing a new piece of instrumentation, we had a pesky noise problem that we had never encountered. I can provide a schematic if necessary, but I roughly describe it as a detector flanged to a vacuum column, in which the detector was isolated from the column. We provided the ground potential via the shield from our instrumentation box. At least on the DC level, we asserted that there were no ground loops. On an AC level, this can be hard to be certain of. Our previous designs had not encountered such a noise issue, but this one included a 3rd-party ADC card as opposed to an ADC card we had previously designed and built ourselves. Despite having the schematics and the ear of the 3rd-party mfgr, and a reasonable belief that there "should" have been no problem, there was. On a hunch, we separated the shield right before the signal came into the 3rd-party card, spliced it with a 100-ohm resistor, and... noise gone.

OK, so our discussion went along the lines of "we must have broken some ground loop." But we couldn't *identify* a ground loop, and if you "disconnect" a ground loop and reconnect it again, why is it not still a ground loop? Analysis: the 100-ohm resistor can be thought of as a large impedance compared to the shield impedance, but I'm not convinced that's effectively an infinite impedance. But if you think of that as *breaking* the ground loop, you also have to think of it *isolating* part of your shield (ie leaving it to float).

Ground loops have always been confounding beasts - AC matters as well as DC (eg impedance vs pure resistance), and they find clever ways to exist when you presume they don't.

Stefan Jeglinski, often mystified