Re: [Phys-l] probability problem

On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Ann Reagan wrote:

Kudos to John for his analysis. I had a much-less elegant, low-tech approach to the same result:

On the contrary! Yours is the more "high tech" approach, what I referred to as the "sample space" approach, the approach taken also by Boas and by Carl in their solutions. My spreadsheet (dealing out a million hands!) is the "brain dead" approach. I used it because I was not quite convinced by the sample space arguments and I have noticed in the past (for instance, in trying to understand the Monty Hall problem the first time I saw it) that the simple process of programming a simulation often provides sufficient insight to make running it unnecessary. Such was not the case here, but it did in any event corroborate the "sample space" solution (as, now quite obviously, it must!)

BTW, the Monty Hall problem is best understood by realizing that you have a one in three chance of having picked the right curtain initially and EVERY other time, the car ends up behind the one you can switch to!

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona