From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet [bernardcleyet@redshift.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:36 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Cc: Bryan Mumford; T.K.Wang & Mary Brooks; Nancy Seese
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Entrainment of oil in Hurricane?

I don't like that use of entrain**, even tho it's commonly used as a substitute for suck***. For a time I objected to the use of suck, even to the extent of telling people i didn't use a vacuum cleaner, but a suction cleaner.

This reminds me of diffusion pumps. Are they Bernoulli or suction pumps?

** the oil is not already in the atmosphere so entrain is not a "correct" use for that word. One doesn't say, the roof was entrained into the tornado, but blown up into. (by the overpressure of the house under the roof.)

http://mw4.m-w.com/dictionary/entrain

*** Now completely accepted as describing the method of making noise at the end of milkshake consumption.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/suck

bc giving up being a strict prescriptivist

p.s. on second thought I'm wrong. the wind whips up spume which is carried along w/ the wind and when it slows drops it's load just as water does to silt at the alluvial or bend in the river.