Re: [Phys-l] Solar Panel Circuit

IIRC, JD wrote you'd made it less safe w/ one of the things you did or planed to do. [to which I agree] Also I think (this may be the same point.) leaving it totally isolated is the best**. If you ground (to anything) then it (the anything) becomes a "return" path. If you contact the hot (WRT the grounded terminal) and the anything a teachable event will occur. The only point I can add is verify that no terminals are common, i.e. one of the binding posts going to the batt. (and solar array) is not connected to one of the outputs. If so you have a more dangerous "situation".

** note if totally isolated the only way a teachable moment will occur is if you contact both the output connections. In that case the currents will be balanced and a GFI won't do you any "good".

bc would take apart the strip, and, to use the geek language, reverse engineer. He dismantles everything as soon as the warranty expires (sometimes before if there is no seal.

p.s. yes, but wait for JD's or other's confirmation.

p.p.s. I suspect the reason to ground the frame is so lightning won't fry the electronics just the batt. and array.

BTW, I suspect, after reading more carefully, that the power strip's light wants you to connect the large tine to the O pin. thus:

looking at socket:

(1) (2)

| |
| |
| |

(3)

1 => 3

one is the white, common, ground, or return terminal (larger then 2); two is the "hot" and 3 is the u ground (if you look in, you will see a U, usually).

the plug is the same (U replaced by a cylinder) LOOKING from the chord end!

Try a different strip that doesn't have that pesky light.