Re: [Phys-l] Solar Panel Circuit

scitch@verizon.net wrote:
/snip/ There is no green wire and no place to
put a green wire. Nothing plugs into the house wiring, it's completely
isolated (except now for where I tried to ground it to the house ground). This is the type of inverter that you would plug into the cigarette lighter
in your car and then plug your laptop into it. But this one comes with a
positive post and a negative post, not a cigarette lighter plug. So, I
have a red and black wire going in and a power strip coming out. There's
nowhere on the inverter to ground the chassis (I assume that's because in a
car, the negative terminal of the battery is "grounded" to the car's
chassis. It is a Tripp-Lite PowerVerter 600W
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=530331

So, I plugged the positive side of the solar panel to the positive post on
the inverter and the negative side of the solar panel to the negative post
on the inverter. I connected the frame of the solar panel to ground
because there is a metal post coming out of it with the schematic symbol
for ground and I watched several "how-to" videos that said to ground the
panel when it's on the roof. The panel is sitting directly on the ground
(propped up at one side), so this was overkill, but worth a try.

Technically, the light on the power strip just indicates a wiring fault,
but the outlet tester indicates an open ground.

Would it be safe to say that I can remove all of the grounding that I did
yesterday and just ignore the red light?

Thanks again,
Mike

As a general rule, it's unwise to accept even well-intended advice from net sources
about devices that could possibly be lethal.
A query to the inverter supplier might help. At the very least, you could
check for continuity between either DC input and any inverter output.
If there is no path at all, then you may have a fully isolated AC source which
may well be reasonably safe. Do you have kids? Could they fool with the wiring?

Brian W