Re: [Phys-l] backwards units : entrenched usage

At 10:25 -0500 05/28/2010, John Clement wrote:

Then when students do math they are told that a ball is dropped from a
bridge and accelerates downward. The formula for the distance traveled in
meters is y=4.9x when x is measured in seconds. How far has the ball
traveled after 2 seconds. But often the problem is expressed without any
reference to units. Notice how the problem associates the units with the
variables rather than with the constant. So the problem is reinforced in HS
math.

First, I hope that the formula you quote here is really y = 4.9x^2, but that's not what I'm writing about.

I note that this way of expressing formulas is common in engineering use as well, especially in those cases where the formula is complicated, and is written for the use of technicians rather than other engineers (although it is used in this context as well). Just as was done in the math exercise quoted above, the formula will be written with dimensionless numbers in place of the constants and the units associated with all the variables will be specified. What this means is that if the numbers entered in the formula are always in the specified units, then the answer will also end up in the correct units.

I can see the practical value in this when the use is intended for a technician on site who needs a number and really doesn't have the time to spend on making sure the units are correct, but the method inevitably seeps into and contaminates the laboratory as well. It has been many years since I was a reader of any of the IEEE journals, but I recall that most of the formulas there, even in basic research papers were written in this fashion. It used to drive me nuts as I tried to figure out what actually went into the nameless numerical constants that appeared in the published formulas.

From personal experience, I can testify that this practice, no matter how useful if may be for the technician in the field, is a formidable barrier to understanding, and the adoption of this practice by mathematics teachers makes out job a science teacher many times more difficult.

I can even understand why the mathematicians do this, since their primary interest is in the relationships and not the real-world application of it, but I do wish that they would understand the real-world implications down the line of their narrow focus at the beginning.

Unfortunately, even top-rated math teachers who understand the way that math is the underpinning of all science and engineering fail to appreciate the importance of getting students used to using units with their numbers (of course, unitless numbers exist, but compared to the numbers requiring units, they are far less common). The grief this causes later is significant, as was earlier noted in the case of the lost Mars lander. I even recall an incident in fiction--specifically in Ernest Gann's novel "Point of No Return," in which the navigator on a trans-Pacific flight misses a critical position in the flight because he forgot to convert a distance in statute miles to one in nautical miles.

As the life sciences become ever more mathematical, I'm sure that this problem is only going to get worse. The only solution I can see if for the math teachers and the science teachers to spend a lot more time talking to each other, but given the walls of isolation built around our various disciplines, I don't see this happening in anywhere near the required amount in the foreseeable future.

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org