Re: [Phys-l] backwards units : entrenched usage

Way back on 05/17/2008 02:18 PM, I wrote in part:

The other day I was reading the data plate on an electric motor:

HP : 1 1/3 Type : C
RPM : 1725 SF : 1.0
A : 12.3 PH : 1
V : 115 Hz : 60

This seems backwards relative to the way we would write things in the
physics lab:

1.333 HP
1725 RPM
12.3 A
115 V
60 Hz
So, why mention this? Three reasons:
b) We should add this to the endless list of possible student misconceptions.
Life is hard enough when they show up with no idea how to use units, but
it is so very much harder when they show up with entrenched diametrically
backwards notions.

c) Even if the students have never encountered this before, at some point
in the game (not too early) we should warn them that they might encounter
backwards usage here and there.

Just today I got a lesson in unit analysis. I was called
upon to modify some software. In the code I found tons
and tons of statements of the following evil backwards form:
grains_per_octave = 4;
longs_per_zone = 92;
bins_per_zone = longs_per_zone * bins_per_long;

This was also a lesson in humility, since the evil backwards
code was something *I* had written previously. Ouch.

I'm happy to report it was super-easy to repair the code.
I changed it to:
// Note _mi_ means "... measured in units of ..."
fineness = 4; // grains per octave
zone_mi_longs = 92; // zone size, measure in longs
zone_mi_bins = zone_mi_longs * long_mi_bins; // zone size, measured in bins

I mention this because it reinforces my earlier statement
that diametrically backwards abuse of units is rather
deeply entrenched in our culture.

If *I* need to struggle to keep this straight, it's scary
to think how hard the students need to struggle.