Re: [Phys-l] Cramster et al.

What a red herring! I worked three hours every morning before attending classes. I also worked weekends at a grocery store and summers at Fruit of the Loom dyeing cloth. I still did homework - loved it in fact. It's all a matter of priorities.

Having a job is no excuse for doing poorly.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Jack Uretsky [jlu@hep.anl.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:42 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Cramster et al.

Hi all-
I would add to Michael's comments the following observation:
I observed Community college students arriving at school an hour, or so,
before class and sitting down to do their homework, often with earphones
attached to their heads. Often, I was told, they had worked at night jobs
the night before and were tryng to do homework in the only time available
to them. To the extent that they are "working their way through college".
often claimed as a commendable enterprise, they are guaranteed to be
getting minimum benefit from the college experience. Perhaps there are
steps we can take to help such people.
Regards,
Jack