Re: [Phys-l] Death of Time Dilation (or not)

On 04/13/2010 02:36 PM, chuck britton wrote:
http://www.physorg.com/news190027752.html

The article isn't very clear - just sensationalism??

1) The physorg report is complete bunk. It is a travesty
of the New Scientist report.

2) The New Scientist report is itself a caricature of
the actual scientific paper.

3) The actual paper has some strong points and some
weak points.

M. R. S. Hawkins
On time dilation in quasar light curves
http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.1824

===============

1) Discussing the physorg article would be a complete
waste of time.

2) Discussing the New Scientist report would be mostly
a waste of time.

3) We can perhaps take a few moments to discuss the
physics of the actual paper.

Executive summary: The first part of the paper is
valuable because it identifies some peculiarities in
the observed data. These peculiarities demand an
explanation. Alas the explanation suggested in the
last part of the paper is dead on arrival.

Analysis:

By way of analogy, consider the following typesetting
project:

1) Mary had a little lamb.

2) M a r y h a d a l i t t l e l a m b .

Case (2) is uniformly expanded relative to case (1).
Obviously there is an increase in the distance from one
letter to the next, and just as obviously there is an
increase in the distance from the beginning of one _word_
to the next. All corresponding lengths increase in the
same proportion. This should be obvious from the geometry
of the situation, and the uniformity of the expansion.

We apply this analogy as follows: In a supernova light
curve, the overall timescale of the curve is the "words"
and the wavelength of the light is the "letters". The
central claim of the Hawkins paper is that the photons
are expanded (redshifted) whereas the light curve is not
expanded ("time dilated"). This is impossible. This
should be obvious from the geometry of the situation.
We can safely assume that the rate of expansion of the
universe does not change significantly over the timescale
of one supernova event.

Remember the rule for working almost any relativity
problem: Start by drawing the spacetime diagram.

Start by drawing the spacetime diagram!

If you do that, it should be obvious that my typographic
analogy is a good model for the physics.

I don't mean to argue against the data. Data is data.
But I can argue against the interpretation. The paper
reaches a (somewhat tentative) conclusion about the
"conventional cosmological framework" ... but the data
does not and simply cannot support any such conclusion.

I prefer the following interpretation instead:
*) We observe that the photons are expanded (red shifted).
That's OK.
*) Therefore the light curves are expanded ("time dilated").
They simply must be, by the geometry of the situation.
*) We observe that the light curves, as received in their
expanded state, line up when we compare light curves from
different events.
*) Therefore if we compute the "proper" (i.e. intrinsic)
light curves by factoring out the expansion, they don't
line up.
-- Maybe they shouldn't line up. Maybe we have been
comparing apples and oranges all along.
-- Maybe they should line up, in which case the fact
that they don't remains a mystery.