Re: [Phys-l] whither convolution

On 04/06/2010 01:56 PM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

When considering a "black box," one observes a given output, given a
known input. The transfer function is expressed mathematically as a
convolution:

output(t) = Integral[ h(t') x input(t-t'), dt' ] [1]

That's not the most general "action" a black box
could have.

Why is it that we don't naively claim

output(t) = h(t) x input(t) [2]

That's possible, but even less general than [1]. Ohm's law
is of form [2]. When we have capacitors as well as resistors,
form [1] is needed. When we have any kind of nonlinearity,
e.g. light bulbs, diodes, varactors, etc., neither [1] nor
[2] will do the job.

and leave it at that? Why is it that a reversed sliding average, an
approach that seems highly non-intuitive, correct?

One person's "intuition" is another person's "magic".
There's a proverb that defines education as the process
of cultivating your intuition.

I know about things like the convolution providing us the framework
for the very useful notion of impulse response etc, but I don't think
my answer should be "that's just the way it works." However, is it
possible that the convolution exists merely to mathematically support
the concept of impulse response?

Impulse response is a sufficient explanation for the
structure of equation [1], for a time-invariant linear
system.

There exist things such as correlation functions and
dot products that do not require a minus sign in
front of the dt'. And you can disguise said minus
sign by time-reversing the kernel h(t) ... but then
h(t) is not a picture of the impulse response but
rather the reverse thereof.

If you want h(t) to be the non-reversed impulse
response and you want the overall system to be
linear and invariant w.r.t to time-shifts, then
equation [1] is pretty much the only game in town.

It just expresses the idea that the output is a
superposition of impulse responses.

You can work up to this idea by considering an input
that is a single impulse, then the sum of two impulses,
then three, and so forth.