Re: [Phys-l] Gamma-Gamma Coincidence

"Not "really". They (it), L***LNL, does quite a bit of "outreach" including sponsoring HS science seminars and lectures. Part of a recent NCNAAPT section meeting was at the Lab. and included tours and lectures on non-lin. optics, crystal growing (KDP), and C-14 dating (on the shroud, no less). They have (had?) a Summer "camp" too. Remember they have the laser NIF **** which is bomb, I suppose, but I think the resulting "papers" will be in the "open" lit. I think the facility is like the Naval Postgrad. School, i.e. much is "open" physics, but obviously directed toward naval warfare. e.g. heavy emphasis on acoustics.

*** There was a minor flap when EOL's widow requested the lab. drop the Lawrence from the title as he was not all that in favour of the bomb, and she, therefore, thought the appellation inappropriate. The govt. refused, or was it that rabid anti-communist Hungarian. It should be named after him; he founded it.

bc is evidently wrong:

https://publicaffairs.llnl.gov/news/teller_edward/documents/Teller_Bio.pdf

**** https://lasers.llnl.gov/

This is only NIF ed. stuff:

https://lasers.llnl.gov/education/

They even have a page titled "K-12 Outreach"

https://st.llnl.gov/?q=collaborations-k12_educational_outreach

bc thinks it "greening", and promotion of education for future workers, but whatdauexpect in an empire maintained by warfare.