[Phys-l] About light interference and energy preservation

Hello:

We were reading in class the book "Please Explain" by Isaac Asimov, and answer 78 explains about light interference. It says that when two white light waves interfere destructively on a screen, we can obtain darkness in the screen, but energy should be converted to another form: heat (screen temperature raises up) .
A student asked me about the case that white ligth interference were in perfect vacuum, ¿ in wich way can the energy conservation principle be preserved ? .¿ Energy will be manifested as heat ?. I found it difficult to answer.
Please, I would appreciate you help me to answer that query.
My best regards.
Roberto