[Phys-l] third law of thermo

I recognize that there are many different views on the 3rd law. Specifically S does not always go to zero as T->0. However, I thought one could safely say it approaches a constant (often called the residual entropy) with zero slope, ie dS/dT->0 as T->0 (technically it's a partial derivative with N,V,B,etc held constant). Apparently I must be wrong about that however. Consider an ideal fermi gas. It has C linearly proportional to T at low T. Then dS/dT=C/T=nonzero constant as T->0.

Do others agree with my analysis or am I missing some key idea? -Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363