[Phys-l] Is the Gamow; Bohr-Weizsäcker model passé?

I include Gamow because:

Mr Tompkins and the Chinese whispers - 08 July 1995 - New Scientist

Ignoring the question, would charging a drop (water?) cause it to fission or would it alpha decay? Also could one "shoot" a small drop at a large one and induce fission?

The reason I ask is, as those who have "looked" at my recent post know, a friend photographs drop collisions. All are of ~ equal size and the result is "splat". Perhaps a small drop would induce fission instead. (?)

bc