Re: [Phys-l] Metastudy on impact of inquiry in k-12 - Response to Wurman

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in the post "Re: Metastudy on impact of inquiry in k-12 - Response to Wurman" [Hake (2010b)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In the abstract of my post "Re: Metastudy on impact of inquiry in k-12" [Hake (2010a)], I wrote: "Joe Bellina (2010), in a post 'Metastudy on impact of inquiry in k-12' ALERTED subscribers to 'Inquiry-Based Science Instruction - What Is It and Does It Matter? Results from a Research Synthesis Years 1984 to 2002' [Minner, Levy, & Century (2009)]."

Ze'ev Wurman (2010), evidently misunderstanding the above, responded (paraphrasing) "Would Hake care to speculate as to the reasons Joe BELLINA RESTRICTED HIS RESEARCH to 1984-2002 and ignored the last 7 years of rather fruitful studies in this area?"

Ze'ev apparently did not scan the abstract of Minner et al. (2009) in which the authors give the following reasons for restricting *their* research (*not* Bellina's) to data from 1984 to 2002 (paraphrasing): "[That timeframe] was selected to continue a line of synthesis work last completed in 1983 by Bredderman (1983) and by Shymansky et al. (1983), and to accommodate a practicable cutoff date given the research project timeline, which ran from 2001 to 2006."

If Ze'ev and others *suspect* that Minner et al. may have cherry picked 1984-2002 so as to "focus on data from periods that suited their theses," then to make a case they would need to provide data outside the 1984-2002 period that *conflicts* with Minner et al.'s indication of "a clear, positive trend favoring inquiry-based instructional practices."

My survey of data in "Direct Science Instruction Suffers a Setback in California - Or Does It?" [Hake (2004)] showed that ALL the data, including that outside the 1984-2002 period, was generally consistent with the pro-inquiry assessment of Minner et al. (2009).

Not surveyed was "Why Minimal Guidance During Instruction Does Not Work: An Analysis of the Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching" [Kirschner, Sweller, & Clark (2006)]. But that paper, despite its misleading title, does *not* counter the theses of Minner et al. (2009), as explained in e.g., "Language Ambiguities in Education Research" [Hake (2008b)].

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>