Re: [Phys-l] High-School Science Teaching as a Profession

A reply to R. H.'s post on physhare

-------------------------

SUBSCRIBE PHYSHARE Lynda Elliott <le6e@VIRGINIA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [PHYSHARE] High-School Science Teaching as a Profession

I teach 9th grade physical science at an urban high school in NJ, and
completely agree with the three arguments made by Anne Baffert and Sheila
Tobias in “Science Teaching as a Profession: Why it Isn’t and How it Could
Be”- that science teachers want more autonomy, more control in what they
teach, and to be considered professionals. This is actually an amazing finding,
because when asked the question, “How do we not only recruit, but retain
science teachers?” the answer usually given is that more funding is needed.
But, a higher salary will not change the frustration caused by teaching-to-the-
test methods inspired by NCLB, covering a vast curriculum in 47-minute
periods, or being treated like less than a professional. In the high school
where I teach, the head of the department gives me all quizzes and tests to
be administered, and I routinely meet with the other two teachers who teach
the same classes to make sure that we stay on the same pace. This may
seem like less work, but the reality is that the labs that I come up with and
the demonstrations I create are sacrificed in an effort to cover more material.
All of the creativity that I thrive on, the reason I went into teaching, becomes
minimal. Luckily, I also teach two courses on the weekends for a middle
school-age enrichment program at a local college: “Skateboard Science”
and “Amusement Park Science and Math.” Aside from the obvious incentive of
not having to produce formal lesson plans, I am able to be as creative and
throw in as many concepts, demonstrations, and hands-on activities as I like.
The parents and director of the program treat me as a professional, to the
extent of allowing me to order whatever textbooks I like, and give the course
the name I like. The result is that the kids go home excited about science.
While they are only in seventh grade, their experiences with buoyancy,
gravity, and centripetal acceleration leave them thirsty for high school
physics, which is my intent. Giving teachers more autonomy and control in
adapting their course to the needs of their students means trusting their
judgment as professionals.