Re: [Phys-l] heat/energy

On Jan 28, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Hugh Haskell wrote:

At 07:34 -0500 01/28/2010, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I'm looking for some simple activities for a heat investigation/lab.
Specifically, when two objects collide, I want to show how kinetic energy
(loss) changes to work, sound, and heat. I thought about just hammering a
nail. They can clearly see the nail going into the wood and hear the
noise. I tried this (driving the nail about 1.5 cm), but could not really
sense a temperature change in the nail and hammer head. I then tried
pounding a lead brick with a sledgehammer, but both felt cool to the
touch. Maybe this has to be done for a longer time?

Try driving a screw into a piece of wood with an electric
drill--preferably a self-tapoping screw like a deck screw (they have
them at Home Depot)--and then back it out immediately. It will be too
hot to touch.

This made me think about drilling a hole with a dull bit.

Ludwik's new book (AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A FORMER COMMUNIST) see:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/mybook2.html