Re: [Phys-l] Landau on Lagrangian

At 10:20 -0800 01/21/2010, curtis osterhoudt wrote:

Maybe Lawrie's statement that he knows of no other reason other that it always seems to work is as "satisfactory" as it gets.

At some point in every discussion of "first principles" we find such statements as these to be inevitable. After all, we are not dealing with "first causes," we are looking at ways of describing what we observe. "Hypotheses non fingo," as Newton said.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org