Re: [Phys-l] Landau on Lagrangian

Ian D. Lawrie, in his "A Unified Grand Tour of Theoretical Physics", Sections 3.1 and 3.2, goes through the arguments in a much more pleasing fashion (in my opinion) than L&L. His steps are:

Thanks for this summary. In fact, Landau does touch on these items in the periphery, albeit as you suggest in not quite the same explicit detail. I am seeing the greater importance of the Galilean transform now.

Stefan Jeglinski