[Phys-l] meaning(s) of "adiabatic" (was: T dS versus dQ)

As we began to discuss in a previous note:

In the quantum mechanics literature the slow and gradual
case is conventionally called the "adiabatic"
approximation in contrast to the "sudden" approximation.
This usage is quite firmly established ... even though
it conflicts with the also well-established convention
in other branches of physics where "adiabatic" means
thermally insulated (see examples below). I refuse to
take sides in holy wars over definitions. I ordinarily
just avoid using the term "adiabatic". My recommendation:
If you mean isentropic say "isentropic". If you mean
thermally insulated say "thermally insulated".