Re: [Phys-l] what light is needed for photosynthesis?

exactly so. cf wikipedia esp "light harvesting"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-dependent_reaction

and graph at
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Chlorophyll_ab_spectra2.PNG

note there are several other supplementing molecules and several varieties of chlorophyll trying to get that (important) green part of the spectrum, while chlorophyll is directly absorbing "only" in the red and blue

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>
Physics Graduate Coordinator and Dept Chair pro tem