[Phys-l] what light is needed for photosynthesis?

Dear all,

My esteemed colleague and I are not very sure about this. A student posed
this question in class when the lesson on light and reflection
was conducted. The logic from the student is that, since the plant is green
in colour (the leaf i mean), it means that green light is reflected. Does it
mean green light is not necessary for photosythesis? How about the plants
with red leaves, orange leaves.....

Your insight is much appreciated. Thank you.

Julie