Re: [Phys-l] Bemoaning textbooks and education: old quotes?

Well, this also points to another gripe of mine -- that many PER papers and personnel do not do an adequate literature search. Just as many quotes seem new from 100 years ago, so are many of the ideas (just put new terminology to it)... With the advent of online databases, so there is no more sifting through musty tomes in the library basement, there is no excuse for shoddy lit. searches! Regrettably, the greatest obstacle to curricular reform does not seem to be a lack of desire, but a lack of continuity and follow through. As an example, in 1994
"…Samuel Ward reminded his colleagues that the most common characteristic of curricular reform efforts is amnesia. As proof, he hauled out three reports – spaced 30 years apart and spanning much of the century – all recommending such changes as boosting students’ reasoning rather than memorization skills, harmonizing courses with everyday problems, and emphasizing future problems to be solved. Much to its chagrin, the audience was unable to date any of the reports."(Service 1994)

Thus, curricular reform for science classes, in general, has suffered from the old adage of ‘those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them.’

Anyway, try a few of these papers I have used:

Service RF. 1994. Assault on the Lesson Plan. Science, New Series. 266: 856-858.

Franklin WS. 1921. What is the Matter with Physics Teaching? Science, New Series. 54: 475-479.

Freeman FN. 1931. Scientific and Philosophical Methods in Education. Science, New Series. 73: 54-59.

Guthe KE. 1910. Some Reforms Needed in the Teaching of Physics. Science, New Series. 31: 1-7.

Mann CR. 1910. Physics and Education. Science, New Series. 32: 1-5.

Rutherford FJ. 1997. Sputnik and Science Education. Reflecting on Sputnik: Linking the Past, Present, and Future of Educational Reform [Internet]. http://www.nas.edu/sputnik/rutherford.doc. Accessed 2005 Nov. 16.

Sagan C. 1990. ’Croesus and Cassandra: Policy response to global warming,’ Carl Sagan's acceptance speech for the 1990 Oersted Medal presented by the American Association of Physics Teachers, 23 January 1990. The American Journal of Physics. 58: 721 – 730.

Thompson JJ. 1931. The Growth in Opportunities for Education and Research in Physics during the Past Fifty Years. Science, New Series. 74: 317-324.

Crew H. 1904. Recent Advances in the Teaching of Physics. Science, New Series. 19: 481-488.

Gray A. 1919. Scientific Education and the Teaching of Physics. Science, New Series. 50: 377-383.

Hauser EA. 1951. The Importance of Science in American Education. Science, New Series. 113: 643-646.

Magruder WT. 1913. The Good Engineering Teacher, His Personality and Training. Science, New Series. 38: 137-143.

[Anonymous] 1958. National Defense Education Act (1958) United States Statutes at Large, Public Law 85-864 [Internet]. http://www.fofweb.com/History/Reference.asp?ID=9703 . p. 1580-1605. Accessed 2005 Nov. 18.

Taylor LW. 1940. Science in General Education at the College Level. Science, New Series. 91: 560-565.

Trytten MH. 1941. Colleges and the Changing High Schools. Science, New Series. 94: 387-389.

Those should give you a fairly good cross-section for quotes. One of the ones I like best is: “The recent appointment by the National Research Council and by the American Physical Society of committees on the teaching of physics shows that our physicists who are primarily interested in research are beginning to see that something is the matter with the college teaching of physics.” (Franklin 1921) -- and it's only 89 years later...

Enjoy,

Peter