Re: [Phys-l] thermodynamics assessment

On 01/10/2010 11:33 AM, Paul Lulai wrote:

Spelling and thermo are included in my many
weaknesses.

Well, look at the bright side: that means you will
score better on this quiz than the millions of people
who think they understand thermo, but don't. Fifty
percent is significantly above the modal score on
this quiz.

The hitherto-unstated purpose of my little quiz is
to detect misconceptions and overconfidence. I
have a slightly twisted way of going about this.

Would it be possible for those of us with less experience to get a
key with explanations?

As for the key, that's very easy ... but I'll let
you figure it out. Hint: All of the questions were
taken (usually verbatim) from standard textbooks.

As for the explanations, I just put up a revised version
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-quiz.htm
where each right answer links to an explanation of why
it is right, or at least better than the other answer.