Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how questins."

Might they be referring to the damaging gust fronts that are often associated with the super-cell thunderstorms that tornados are spawned from?

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of brian whatcott [betwys1@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:39 AM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how questins."

Weasel words aside, it's interesting to recall that here in Tornado
Alley (SW Oklahoma)
that broadcasters are adjured to avoid the word tornado where possible.
We end up
with news reports of damaging "straight-line winds" (sic).

There is an underlying justification: someone deduced that more
accidents were being
caused by people taking steps to avoid suspected" tornadoes" than were
being injured
by those particular weather events.

Brian W