Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how questins."

Comments below.

Bill

On Dec 21, 2010, at 4:45 PM, Robert Cohen wrote:

William Robertson wrote:

What seldom is
presented to the public is the fact that the Earth would be
warming at this point (according to ice core data) if humans
never existed.

Is that a fact? Why?
Granted this is not a true fact. I'm basing this comment on where we are currently on the ice core data from the last 500,000 years. We're on the upswing but not at the crest. I should properly say that if we assume the oscillations of temperature indicated by ice core data were to continue as before, then we would expect the Earth to continue warming for a while.

One could actually make a case that
the mechanism of Darwinian evolution, natural selection, is a
fact. We have seen natural selection both in nature and in
the laboratory. It happens.

What did we observe? Natural selection or evolution? Both? Neither?

We have observed natural selection. Peppered moths is the classic natural example of the environment selecting out certain characteristics. In the lab, organisms subjected to different environmental pressures result in the elimination of certain characteristics in the population. I would not call either of these evolution, because evolution occurs over long periods of time. It is clear, though, that the mechanism of natural selection occurs in nature and in the lab, and can be reproduced.

What is not a fact, but rather a
theory, is global evolution, the evolution of species via
natural selection throughout the Earth's history. We have a
fossil record (fact) and a mechanism (natural selection), but
all that does is make global evolution a very good theory, as
you say. So, scientists should present evolution as a very
good theory, not a fact.

So, global evolution is a theory, but natural selection is a fact?

That's my claim. Of course one should qualify that by natural selection I mean the mechanism in isolated instances, not that the mechanism clearly has been at work throughout history.

I don't disagree with your contention that scientists need to be
careful. However, I'd feel better about following your arguments if you
could provide a definition of a fact vs. a theory. Also, definitions of
evolution vs. natural selection vs. global evolution would be nice.

Facts, for me, are observations on which anyone with a clear and fair mind agrees. Theories are composed of inferences from facts. No fair minded person can argue that the fossil record is not a fact. We find fossils, and unless you believe that they have been placed there by aliens, you would have to consider the fossils as a factual record. The inferences of the theory of evolution are good inferences, but I would not call them facts. Hope that makes things clearer.