Re: [Phys-l] Reality versus models of realty

On Dec 16, 2010, at 8:48 PM, D.V.N. Sarma wrote:

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 7:08 AM, ludwik kowalski <
kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu> wrote:

I would say that real is what would exist if all humans disappeared.
Planets, for example, are real.
Ludwik
=========

Who knows what would be there?
Right now we are not sure of the nature of the world around us.

I am not willing to go so far. I am sure that planets and atoms are real thins.

Ludwik

Our knowledge of the world is through the filters of our senses.
Thus we do not know what actually is out there.
QM is reaching the conclusion reality does not exist when
we are not observing it.
Very close to the advaitic school "by looking we create the world".
If you remove observer(s), the question of existence of reality
in their absence, becomes unverifiable and meaningless.

regards,
Sarma.