Re: [Phys-l] internal/external conservative/nonconservative forces!?!?

On the other hand, chemistry texts sometimes avoid QM where it can be extremely helpful. I just finished helping my daughter through two semesters of organic chem. When she got to molecular orbital theory, she was completely confused. The text, which was quite good in many respects, discussed bonding and anti-bonding molecular orbitals and their associated energies, but never gave an underlying picture of what led to these two kinds of orbitals. I spent a half hour with my daughter, explaining basic concepts of wave functions and constructive and destructive interference. That's all it took for her to gain an understanding of molecular orbitals, while her classmates just memorized the material.

Bill