Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

1. A wave is a wave is a wave. The K-K relations apply to them all, from
acoustics to E&M to (we're assured) gravity. K-K applies because the functions
describing these things are analytic in (at least) half of the Argand plane.

2. Dispersion is *absolutely* key in the K-K relations, as they explicitly state
relations between the real and imaginary parts (and therefore the "in-phase" and
"quadrature" parts) of the functions. If you know the complete behavior of the
real part you can find the imaginary behavior, and vice-versa. Or, if you know a
suitable combination of these parts on a total domain which can be mapped to the
upper-half of the Argand plane, everything is known (along with the knowledge of
the analyticity of the functions).

3. Lagrangian/Hamiltonian processes can absolutely have the K-K relations
applied (viz. adiabatic approximations in optics, acoustics, etc.), so long as
the processes in question are well-approximated by analytic functions. SHOs are
an obvious example, but through the magic of Green's functions almost anything
can be built up---very carefully---from appropriately shifted basis functions.
It often gets very tricky when mode-conversions and attenuations or gains are
incorporated, though.

"The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the
one is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the
unknowable." ~~Roger Zelazny, in "Lord of Light"