Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 4:46 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

On 11/29/2010 10:07 AM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

The assignment of "cause" and "effect" is a philosophical, and not a
physics, concept.

I disagree.

It is neither operationally definable nor conclusively
testable.

I disagree.

Questions of cause-and-effect are of the utmost practical importance.
The Mayo Clinic / Love Canal parable should suffice to prove the point.
This is discussed at the very beginning of
http://www.av8n.com/physics/causation.htm

That's why this discussion is worth having. It is a tremendous disservice
to the students -- and to the society as a whole -- to teach misconceptions
about cause-and-effect.

How can we even begin to have a fact-based discussion of whether humans
are causing climate change if people have no clue what "causing" means?

Multi-trillion-dollar decisions hinge on our understanding of what is
causal and what is not causal. Life-and-death decisions hinge on our
understanding of what is causal and what is not causal.

This is not to be trifled with.