Re: [Phys-l] Teaching elementary astronomy topics

I woke up this morning to a different scene outside. The first thing I see in the morning through my bedroom window is our 37.5 meter tall Douglas fir, which usually holds its branches rigidly horizontal. This morning they were hanging down at 45 degrees. Last night we had our first snowfall of the season, and I realized that I should finish a note I'd started more than a week ago regarding the cause of the seasonal variation in mean surface temperature.

I suggest that teaching a student about "direct" and
"indirect" insolation perhaps confuses the student
unnecessarily. Talking about the seasonal variation in
duration of insolation is probably easier to sell, and it is
more important at most latitudes than angle of incidence of
insolation.