Re: [Phys-l] Historical trivium

On Nov 20, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I presume this is a two lane circle.

There are no lanes in our circles. The lane lines stop outside the circle and there are no markings at all to direct traffic except the signs telling you which road to take which are located before you enter the circle so you know to go to the inside or outside of the traffic flow. If you get caught on the inside and are supposed to be on the outside to exit the circle you have to go around again and then get to the outside. Sometimes drivers will let you cut across, but most drivers will not give you time of day! It's every man for himself. The circles here are no place for the meek and nervous!

In England the car in the circle has right of way. Back when, I remember a US traffic engineer in a TV discussion (panel) vehemently suggest getting rid of all of them. They never bother me, and are better than stop signs, even four way ones.

they are getting rid of stop signs also and putting in lights everywhere, even if they are a block apart. Many lights are not even metered with the next ones so you are as likely to hit every red light as not in many places.