Re: [Phys-l] Richard Dawkins Answers Reddit Questions

I've stayed out of this general discussion, in part because the points being made are neither new nor unexpected. I'm sure most of us have participated in similar conversations in other venues. I frequently point out to my students that science and religion are both "faith based."

I encourage those who are interested to read the "science and theology" literature. Physicist/theologian Ian Barbour identifies a four part typology of how science and religion can interact: conflict, independence, dialogue, integration. Much of this discussion has taken place in either conflict (both sides believe the other is wrong-headed) or independence (both sides recognize the other's teaching authority in their respective disciplines, but see no interaction).

For my own work, I fall somewhere between dialogue and integration ... and I'm neither wearing blinders nor do I find a conflict or contradiction between my theologian side and my scientist side.
"i thank You God for this most amazing day
for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky
and for everything which is natural which is infinite
which is yes."
- e. e. cummings

Dr. George Spagna
Physics Department