Re: [Phys-l] Anti-vandalism in restrooms

There was an interesting study in one of the research journals where

"The hypotheses that decreases in interpersonal distance would lead to increases in the delay of micturation and decreases in the persistence of micturation were tested Š" p.544

they demonstrated that

"Micturation delay increased from a mean of 4.9 seconds in the control condition to 6.2 seconds in the moderate distance condition to 8.4 seconds in the close distance condition. Micturation persistence also showed significant differences Š from 24.8 seconds in the control condition to 23.4 seconds in the moderate distance to 17.4 seconds in the close distance condition" p.455

They know this because they had someone hiding in the stalls with a periscope.

I discuss this in a research methods session, as I think it raises some interesting ethical questions! (I guess 1976 was a different time.) I suppose it's an unusual application of optics though.

Keith

Middlemist, D., Knowles, E. S., & Matter, C. F. (1976). Personal Space Invasions in the Lavatory: Suggestive Evidence for Arousal. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 33(5), 541-546.