Re: [Phys-l] Kinetic vs static friction

Not so modern -- when I went back east W/ my father (a S'n Pacific employee) (ca 1953) one of the trainmen (conductor or brakeman or ?) recounted the fried birds that landed on the resistor. This was (is) for braking while descending from the mountains (rockies and Sierra Nevadas in this case).

bc has the same except the resistor is a giant battery, and thinks the equivalent for the train would occupy several freight cars.