Re: [Phys-l] Bad reason #1 to oppose action on climate change

Reminds me of an old joke: the flood waters are rising, and one old faithful man refuses to be evacuated. "God will save me" he repeats to all. The water rises and he is on his second floor. A national guard member in a row boat comes to get him and he says "No thank you, God will save me." Now he is on the roof, speedboat comes by and again, it's no thankyou, God will save me. Clinging to the chimney, helicopter comes by with rope lowered. Once again, No thankyou, God will save me. Water rises, he drowns. Meets God. Asks "Why did you forsake me? I was so faithful...". And God replies: What do you mean "forsake yoou"? I sent you two boats and a hellicopter!
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of John Mallinckrodt [ajm@csupomona.edu]
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:53 PM
To: Phys-L: Forum for Physics Teachers
Subject: [Phys-l] Bad reason #1 to oppose action on climate change

I hope we can all agree as scientists to abhor the idea that United States policy on climate change might be guided by a Congressional Committee chaired by someone with this viewpoint:

http://tinyurl.com/23btgnp

"A Republican congressman who believes that global warming is not a threat because God has promised not to destroy the Earth has put himself forward as chairman of a powerful committee that deals with energy policy and its effect on the environment."

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona