----- Original Message -----
From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>

I get really tired of "Conceptual" books and "Conceptual" exams
that pay only lip service to actual concepts and instead rely
heavily on rote regurgitation. I object to using "conceptual"
as a euphemism for "superficial" i.e. "not requiring much if
any deep thinking". Forsooth, I consider the concepts and the
> principles to be the /most/ thoughtful, deep, and sophisticated
> part of any subject.

It would be great if we (we who regularly deal with intro-level students,
often gen-ed students) could really work on the level of concepts you
suggest. Unfortunately, even after considerable instruction, after hands-on
exercises (Socratic Dialog style labs), a large (too large) percentage of
these students will tell you that the force on a vertically thrown ball is
constantly decreasing as the ball rises..