Re: [Phys-l] Errata for FCI?

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>

I get really tired of "Conceptual" books and "Conceptual" exams
that pay only lip service to actual concepts and instead rely
heavily on rote regurgitation. I object to using "conceptual"
as a euphemism for "superficial" i.e. "not requiring much if
any deep thinking". Forsooth, I consider the concepts and the
principles to be the /most/ thoughtful, deep, and sophisticated
part of any subject.

It would be great if we (we who regularly deal with intro-level students, often gen-ed students) could really work on the level of concepts you suggest. Unfortunately, even after considerable instruction, after hands-on exercises (Socratic Dialog style labs), a large (too large) percentage of these students will tell you that the force on a vertically thrown ball is constantly decreasing as the ball rises..AND NO, they are not thinking that the ball is getting farther from the center of the earth so the gravitational force is decreasing (no matter how small that decrease might be). They are thinking in pure Aristotilean terms--the force of the hand continues with the ball as it rises, but somehow peters out with time and distance. That is the level of (mis)conception we are dealing with and with which most of the FCI questions attempt to deal. The book on the table is just a bad question, badly stated, and should have been removed long ago (I'm assuming it IS still in the updated FCI).

Rick