Re: [Phys-l] Definition of upthrust or buoyancy

_____

From: LaMontagne, Bob [mailto:RLAMONT@providence.edu]
To: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu]
Sent: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:02:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Definition of upthrust or buoyancy

If you want to imagine the buoyancy on an object, first imagine a blob of water with exactly the same shape as the object. That water is obviously in equilibrium. Agreed.
Integrate the pressure over the surface area of the blob. OK; I get a net downward force for a blob at the bottom, and a net upward force for one in the middle or at the top.

If in equilibrium, this must give a force that is equal and opposite to the weight of the water.I agree that the net force on the blob must be zero, but at the bottom there can also be a normal force from the bottom. The buoyancy and weight aren't the only two forces.

Am I missing something? (Probably!)

jg

Now replace the blob with the object. The surfaces forces have not changed so they still add to the weight of the blob. Hence, the buoyant force is the weight of the water displaced. This definition of buoyancy does not require water surrounding all surfaces of the blob - the blob could be on the bottom of a glass beaker.

As John D. has pointed out, stickyness is a different issue.

Bob at PC