Re: [Phys-l] Prof. Hal Lewis resigns from APS

There are several issues here and I am losing sight of them...

1. In his commentary on the APS release, Roger Cohen seems to point out
that the issue is *not* about the greenhouse effect (does that include
global warming? anthropogenic sources?). Instead, the issue is (1)
whether the science is settled, (2) whether the effects will be
catastrophic, (3) whether it requires draconian economic sacrifices to
avoid, and (4) whether mandates and subsidies for rent-seeking
corporations are justified.

I think (1) is vague. Which science is he referring to? That global
warming is occurring? That a significant amount of the warming is due
to anthropogenic sources? Or that the effects will be catastrophic?
What does it mean to be "settled"?

Regarding (2), I searched the APS statement for the word "catastrophic"
and found it used only once and combined with "possible" (as in
"possible catastrophic"; it is not used in the statement itself but
rather in the commentary that came out 2.5 years later). Is the issue
that there is no possibility for the results to be catastrophic? Most
of the APS statement seemed to use the word "significant" (as in
"significant disruptions"). Is that an issue?

As for (3) and (4), I see that the APS statement calls for "prudent
steps". Is that what is being interpreted as "draconian economic
sacrifices"?

2. The satellite data that is on Roy Spencer's site clearly shows, to
me, that the temperature is warming. Apparently, that is not the issue.
Rather, I'm guessing the issue is whether the warming is anthropogenic
in origin. Is the issue whether CO2 has also risen? Or is the issue
whether CO2 has shown the same year-to-year variability reflected in the
satellite temperature measurements?

I enjoy a good debate -- but first I need to know what issue is being
debated.

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq