Re: [Phys-l] Pseudoscience

I agree. That is the text that I used for the portion of my core physics course that dealt with pseudoscience. They give a wonderful step by step check off of criteria. They also devote a chapter to handling those cases like cold fusion where the criteria are met, but there are still some people doing legitimate investigations on the topic. I have asked the publisher to reprint it, but the market just wasn't there. A few of the examples are probably outdated by now.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of brian whatcott [betwys1@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:48 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Pseudoscience

On 10/12/2010 9:36 AM, Espinosa, James wrote:
The best reference I know that should clear up any confusion about the meaning of pseudoscience is: Science and Unreason by Daisie Radner and Michael Radner. It was published in 1982 and is unfortunately out of print, but copies can be found in used book bookstores. I have my students read it so that they will know the difference between what is science and what is not.

James Espinosa

[Amazon]
Science and Unreason
<http://www.amazon.com/Science-Unreason-Daisie-Radner/dp/0534011535/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286901994&sr=1-1>
by Daisie Radner and Michael Radner (Paperback - Mar 1, 1982)
5 new
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0534011535/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286901994&sr=1-1&condition=new>
from $11.43 31 used
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0534011535/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286901994&sr=1-1&condition=used>