Re: [Phys-l] H. Sapiens

Good question: I recall reading/hearing somewhere that 10% of all human beings are alive today - but I don't recall how that was derived.

And then similarly I've heard 90% of all scientists that ever lived are alive today.

(I suspect there's material for some very poor joke in combining those two - along the lines "...and the other 10% are human beings.")

Keith

I'd like to reprise the population topic briefly (for a change of pace).

Folks seem to have a pretty good set of data that is being fit to
exponential form.
I'm reminded of Al Bartlett's many talks and must ask a question.

Based on this exponential curve - about what percentage of the TOTAL
historical Homo Sapiens population is currently alive?

This shouldn't be a terribly difficult % to come up with.

thanks for indulging me.

--
Dr. Keith S. Taber

http://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/staff/taber.html
http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/kst24/

Author: Progressing Science Education - Constructing the Scientific Research Programme into the Contingent Nature of Learning Science (Springer: 2009)

University Senior Lecturer in Science Education

Science Education Centre
University of Cambridge Faculty of Education
184 Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 8PQ
United Kingdom

to join an electronic discussion list on
learning in science
please visit
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/learning-science-concepts