Re: [Phys-l] Phys-l Digest, Vol 56, Issue 21

On Tuesday, September 29, 2009, at 12:00 PM, phys-l-request@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu wrote:
From: Philip Keller <PKeller@holmdelschools.org>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] differentiated instruction
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators' <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
2. No one has claimed to be (or to know of) a high school physics teacher who is using differentiated instruction in their classes. I am not counting it if you say "I do it all the time" in an informal way. After all, teachers have always answered questions from individual students with individual responses, thus differentiating based on student need as identified by the questions they ask. But I am looking for someone who follows Tomlinson's suggestion and differentiates by content, process and product in a planned program.

OK, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here goes.

We've been doing something that I think of as a kind of differentiation. At our school, most ninth graders take Intro Physics in heterogeneous sections. Math skills are quite varied among the students. For several topics, I've written different levels of worksheets to be used to practice and apply whatever math we're doing. Typically there are three levels. One reviews and provides a gentle, scaffolded introduction, another is targeted at the level of our tests and quizzes, and a third makes things complicated in various ways. This is not an everyday thing. Most of the course is not differentiated in this way: everybody does the labs in mixed-ability groups, takes the same tests, listens to the same explanations, etc.

Here is an example. Recently we had the kids "rediscover" Hooke's Law. We followed up by calculating the slopes of their graphs, what the units mean, etc. All that was done together, or in groups of mixed apparent math ability. But when it came time to practice and review, there were differentiated class assignments. Kids who've shown signs of difficulty with math got a page that started with qualitative descriptions of slope, worked examples to verify, guided questions about parts of the task, gradually working up to a full calculation of slope (with units) from a graph. The others got a page that was a fairly traditional problem set, comparable to what would be on the quiz. I didn't fuss much over who got which, as the process is self-correcting: a student who races through an easy page advances to the next; when I see somebody stuck on the standard page, I give them the review/intro. For those who finish the standard page, I've got more challenging/interesting questions about comparing pairs of springs side-by-side or linked end-to-end (plus a few springs on hand for them to verify their reasoning in a qualitative way).

Assembling the leveled worksheets is extra work, but not much. Over the years, I've accumulated more question sets than I can possibly use, so it's a matter of selecting, editing and formatting, and it only needs to be done once. Even so, I've only done it for some topics.

I've been pleased with the results. I do not claim a miracle cure: I've seen only a modest improvement in test scores, and these are hardly controlled conditions. Yet I've found it worthwhile. Conversations during that class time seem more productive: less about the work being too hard/easy, more about how they're handling the problem in front of them.

- Paul Martenis